The ego is always on guard against any kind of perceived diminishment. Automatic ego-repair mechanisms come into effect to restore the mental form of “me.” When someone blames or criticizes me, that to the ego is a diminishment of self, and it will immediately attempt to repair its diminished sense of self through self-justification, defense, or blaming.
Whether the other person is right or wrong is irrelevant to the ego. It is much more interested in self-preservation than in the truth. This is the preservation of the psychological form of “me.”
One of the most common ego-repair mechanisms is anger, which causes a temporary but huge ego inflation. All repair mechanisms make perfect sense to the ego but are actually dysfunctional. Those that are most extreme in their dysfunction are physical violence and self-delusion in the form of grandiose fantasies.
A powerful spiritual practice is consciously to allow the diminishment of ego when it happens without attempting to restore it. I recommend that you experiment with this from time to time.
For example, when someone criticizes you, blames you, or calls you names, instead of immediately retaliating or defending yourself—do nothing. Allow the self-image to remain diminished and become alert to what that feels like deep inside you.
For a few seconds, it may feel uncomfortable, as if you had shrunk in size. Then you may sense an inner spaciousness that feels intensely alive. You haven’t been diminished at all. In fact, you have been expanded.
You may then come to an amazing realization: When you are seemingly diminished in some way and remain in absolute non-reaction, not just externally but also internally, you realize that nothing real has been diminished, that through becoming “less,” you become more.
When you no longer defend or attempt to strengthen the form of yourself, you step out of identification with form, with mental self-image. Through becoming less (in the ego’s perception), you in fact undergo an expansion and make room for Being to come forward.
True power, who you are beyond form, can then shine through the apparently weakened form. If you are content with being nobody in particular, content not to stand out, you align yourself with the power of the universe.
- granolablossom likes this
- irismudmary likes this
- qsalms likes this
- liangmi likes this
- jazzykitty likes this
- fuq-ya-im-high likes this
- hrevival likes this
- brookzlive likes this
- lafillebizarre reblogged this from lazyyogi
- lafillebizarre likes this
- artspammer likes this
- whole-istic reblogged this from lazyyogi
- what-tickles-my-fancy reblogged this from wind-willow
- riverfaerie reblogged this from wind-willow
- riverfaerie likes this
- solitudeandnirvana likes this
- wind-willow reblogged this from lazyyogi
- glamourstains likes this
- alluringdisaster reblogged this from lazyyogi and added:
- theories-from-the-moon reblogged this from callhergreen
- inspireinnerpeace likes this
- verszagen likes this
- callhergreen reblogged this from lazyyogi
- callhergreen likes this
- peachandquiet reblogged this from lazyyogi
- jaeeunnie likes this
- ayoungkingtut likes this
- amazingliferadianthealth likes this
- tulipleslie likes this
- orchid-nectar likes this
- etamitni reblogged this from ladyywithafan
- rockforhope likes this
- preparationforanadventure likes this
- earthia likes this
- thesculptorceo reblogged this from lazyyogi
- mindfullmoonchild reblogged this from lazyyogi
- january2011-2013 likes this
- marshasays likes this
- sureroad reblogged this from lazyyogi
- not-this-not-that reblogged this from lazyyogi
- peaceluvankush likes this
- kapeace-92 likes this
- kapeace-92 reblogged this from lazyyogi
- paintingmangos reblogged this from lazyyogi
- juicyxeno reblogged this from neonghosthappenings
- juicyxeno likes this
- evereverafter likes this
- itspruce likes this
- beautifulsoul0908 likes this
- blacklashedmind likes this